Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Hello!

So Melty Man (MM) and I met up for coffee.  It was lovely- he was smart and funny and (gasp!) gainfully employed.  He is super close to his family and passionate about music and theater and volunteering.  He is about as busy as me and plays basketball, soccer and netball.  He sounds perfect, right?

So I have been playing it cool (who does that? What does that even mean?) and letting him put in the effort to keep in contact and organise another meeting.  And it worked...for awhile.  He has been keeping in touch via text message and last week he asked me to the footy!!

Now, for all of y'all who aren't from Australia, the footy is a big deal.  Especially for boys.  Football (specifically, Australian Rules Football) is almost a religion.  It is kind of a mix between soccer and NFL and maybe a bit of Celtic football thrown in there too.  It is played without pads or helmets and is completely and quintessentially manly.  Hoo boy, pure testosterone is covering that field. 

I love the footy.  I love the fit men and their sleeveless tops and the passion and the speed and utter ruggedness of the game.  So of course when MM invited me along I gave him a resounding "yes" and then proceeded to giggle and text my girlfriends simultaneously to announce the news.  

Then.  MM did the unthinkable.  He messaged and made an excuse.  An EXCUSE people!  He told me he had a basketball game at the same time as the footy and couldn't miss it.  He then said that he wanted to catch up soon and could we arrange something else? 

I was of course lovely and gracious and suggested that perhaps the following weekend would be a good time to see each other.  And... no response. Nothing at all.  This was three days ago! 

Now, friends.  I suppose that I should just relax and be "cool" and wait it out, which I will, because I am all calm and collected and other words beginning with c.  But as a girl who has only ever been in serious, committed relationships, this whole casual dating thing has been a bit of a trial.  I'm just not well versed in the specifics of dating: the waiting, the teasing, the games, the subtle manipulations.  I mean, I don't want a relationship that involves such complicated maneuvers- can't we just be honest about how we feel and our level of interest in each other?  Can't we just enjoy each other's company and see where that goes? 

Sigh.  I just want this to be simple.  And so shall I wait to hear from dear MM, and I will relax and enjoy this charming stage of life called "singledom".  And drink some wine too. 

Kisses to you all! 

No comments: